As an owner of a start up business starting to grow, what would it feel like to work with your local CMC Partner?
Well, let’s start with what it doesn’t feel like.
- We will not want to collect a lorry load of financial data – most small businesses that we start working with are desperately short of the right information. The book keeper is hired to do the VAT Return and the Annual Corporation Tax return – they have never run a business and don’t know what is needed to manage a business. We will highlight the most important information for you and your business.
- We will not work on Business Plans when your concern is about paying the wages and the suppliers next month. The Business Plan can wait! Get the monthly accounts right and the sales pipeline and a few other key pieces of information and do a Business Plan when you really understand how the ‘numbers’ in your business work for you.
- We are not dictators – we don’t tell you what to do – equally we are not wishy washy. We work the issues through with you. Based on facts we will get your understanding and we will jointly agree the actions.
- We will not want to spend your money. It’s important that your money is used wisely to generate the cash flow, helping move your business forward. In most businesses the cost is in the people and we will work with the people you have. Small adjustments in roles and responsibilities can make a big difference to next months’ figures.
- We will not wear rose coloured specs in looking at your people. It is a very difficult thing to have worked with someone for a number of years and for the business to have outgrown their skills. ‘Square pegs in round holes’ cause a massive amount of stress, not least to the individual. Releasing people who are no longer right for a growing business is tough, but invariable the rest of the team can move on at a pace and not be held back.
Don’t think about us as being experts in your business sector – more often than not we will not be familiar with your business sector. We are interested in what you know about your business sector.
If you are relying on us to know you won’t be able to afford us! If you don’t know you will be bust pretty soon.
A good Non Exec knows you, the Business Owner – not the business sector. Your Success is Everything.
So, what do we do?
We add value by helping you to make your business decisions on topics such as:
What are your revenues – margins – overheads – profits – cash collection – key accounts – sales pipeline value– reputation – good will – business processes – sales ability – account development ability – negotiation skills – terms and conditions – business procedures – key people – recruitment of people – motivation of people – etc etc –
These are the bits in your young, growing business that can easily be overlooked as you rush to get the next order away or answer the next customer enquiry. A couple of hours a month – ‘on your business’ and not ‘in your business’ gives you the quality time you need to think about your business.
Talking to your local CMC Business Partner means you are sharing 23 years of experience having –Your Success is Everything.
Call us now on 01844 319286 for a free confidential appointment.